Many online publications have been calling attention to the huge gains advocates have made towards equality for LGBT people this year. While we must recognize that we still have awhile to go to reach equality for all United States citizens, it is important to also celebrate our victories. Below we have compiled a list of some of our favorite stories. Please add your own favorite LGBT victory from 2011 in comments.
- New York became the largest state to legalize same-sex marriage
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made a historic speech, insisting that the protection of LGBT individuals from discrimination is an essential part of the international effort to further human rights
- For the first time, two women shared the traditional “first kiss,” a Navy homecoming tradition
- Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, the policy that barred gay servicepeople from serving openly in the military, was repealed
- President Obama and Attorney General Holder issued a letter to Speaker Boehner stating that the Administration will no longer defend the Defense of Marriage Act, which states that opposite-sex marriage is the only marriage allowed under federal law
- President Obama’s administration extended benefits to federal employees in same-sex domestic partnerships through executive order